Toe River Project Access (TRPA) now has a new home at CareReach. For almost 20 years TRPA has served uninsured residents of Mitchell and Yancey counties by linking them to health care and health-related resources.
A vital resource for these mountain communities, TRPA connects eligible participants to a comprehensive donated care network comprised of volunteer providers and area healthcare partners. Patients enrolled with TRPA are offered access to primary and specialty care and medication assistance, as well as linkage to behavioral health services and resources that help meet the social determinants of health.
While the backdrop of the Blue Ridge Mountains remains the same, the patient landscape in the Toe River Valley is changing as many patients lack adequate insurance coverage, whether from unemployment, underemployment or the higher cost of traditional healthcare fees and insurance premiums. TRPA is reaching these individuals and serving as a crucial link to the services and care they need—helping them to get well, be well, and stay well.
CareReach is proud to support TRPA as they fulfill their mission to reduce health disparities for the uninsured and underinsured in Yancey and Mitchell counties.
In partnership with McDowell Hospital, CareReach also operates the McDowell Access to Care and Health (MATCH) program, a similar program serving McDowell County patients.
Who TRPA Serves
Toe River Project Access provides support to those who meet the following criteria:
- Residents of Mitchell or Yancey Counties
- Ages 18-64
- Do not have health insurance
- Have low income (below 200% FPL)
To request TRPA services or make a referral, call 828-766-1850.
Services TRPA Provides
Eligible participants can receive comprehensive support and assistance with physical, behavioral and social health, including (but not limited to):
- Help with accessing primary and specialty care services, regardless of ability to pay
- Assistance in navigating both the healthcare system and community programs/resources
- Medication Assistance
- Low-cost options for vision and dental services
- Help with applying for financial assistance for specialty care and unpaid medical bills
- Assistance with obtaining affordable health insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace